Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

What's up with tomatoes??

While the cost of fresh fruit and veg has gone up, I think the quality has come down.  I'm fed up buying stuff that has very little flavour.  On principle I refuse to buy fruit out of season.  Strawberries in December? Come on!!  Not only do they cost a small fortune and have been flown in from goodness knows where, they don't even taste like strawberries.
 
So on seeing British tomatoes in Sainsbury's I treated myself to some Taste the Difference ones on the vine (ie more expensive) and looked forward to having them. But I was disappointed.  They were pretty tasteless. Both varieties! I briefly considered returning to the store to complain but a round trip of 30 miles just to return some tomatoes seemed daft and I wasn't due to be back in town for several days. 
 


So not wanting to waste them I sliced the big ones in half sprinkled a little sea salt on them and roasted them in the oven.  Flavour instantly improved.


I served the little ones with some pea, prawn and basil risotto (all ingredients from my freezer) and had a bistro worthy meal.  The large ones were doused in a little balsamic vinegar and used in a salad the next day. And very nice they were too!

Problem is I want to eat fresh tomatoes and I want ones that are grown in proper soil outside.  Not kept in a greenhouse and grown hydroponically.  And I'd be happy to pay a bit more for them and peppers, cucumbers, apples etc if they tasted real.

Now, I have 5 tasteless apples in my fruit bowl.  What can I do with them I wonder?

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar