Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Drunken Master 2: Lau Kar-Leung, Jackie Chan


If I judged Lau Kar-Leung and Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2 based solely on its fight scenes, it would easily rank as one of the best martial arts movies I've ever seen. If I judged it based on the last 20 minutes alone, it would still rank as one of the best martial arts movies I've ever seen. Chan's last inebriated one-on-one fight in the industrial mill is one of the most kinetic, energetic, and creative displays of physical prowess that I have ever witnessed. He literally threw himself into a vat of fire for a fight scene. But where Drunken Master 2 falls short is its story. The central plot about Chan, his family, and his friends stopping a British ambassador from stealing priceless Chinese artifacts and smuggling them abroad is all well and good (even if it does smell a bit too "state-approved" if you catch my drift...). But much of the first third and middle section are devoted to extended screwball/slapstick routines involving ginseng roots and bonsai trees. It simply feels out of place when compared to the tone of the rest of the film.

8/10

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar